POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HELP: How to replace image? : Re: HELP: How to replace image? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HELP: How to replace image?
From: Kenneth
Date: 29 Mar 2015 20:10:00
Message: <web.5518931b1418ae68f644696d0@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <jam### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently, I am using large images for my spaceship project as hull
> textures (please see the attached image). But that takes plenty memory
> and increases a lot the rendering time.

If you are applying your single image_map *many* times to your model (for
example, like many randomly-placed 'decals'), another way to save memory is to
first #declare the image_map in a pigment statement:

#declare my_hull_pigment = pigment{image_map{.....}}

......then use that in your scene, as the pigment in your (many) textures,
instead of a new image_map statement every time. This way, the original image
takes up memory only once. The idea is similar in concept to using a single mesh
object many times in a scene: one mesh which is 're-used', requiring no
additional memory.