POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fired fox : Re: Fired fox Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:25:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fired fox
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 Mar 2015 10:25:00
Message: <web.550adc362e481659f644696d0@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Firefox's biggest problem seems to be how to threads things. It works
> nicely, if you have NoScript, and leave everything you don't absolutely
> need in the pages scripts "disabled". Its does vastly worse with a lot
> of active scripts, animated gifs, or anything that has to simultaneously
> load as the page does.
>
> But, apparently... they know the problem, but fixing it... would require
> a complete rewrite of the engine it uses... :(

I'm running the latest Firefox on Windows XP, along with the Flash plug-in
there.

The sluggishness of Firefox seems to be a known problem, having to do with its
"plug-in-container.exe" process. And without a solution, AFAIK-- except to add
the NoScript add-on. (Haven't done that yet.)

Flash + plug-in-container = big problem! Like, 100% takeover of the CPU. It
happens on my system about 50% of the time while I'm online. My only solution at
present is to kill the plug-in-container process in Task Manager, when things go
screwy. (Or to keep the Flash plug-in from firing up at all, choosing "ask to
activate" there.) I'm obviously missing a lot of Flash content on the web--but I
don't need to see most of it anyway.