POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : if version patch present condition : Re: if version patch present condition Server Time
2 May 2024 19:30:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: if version patch present condition
From: Mr
Date: 4 Feb 2015 11:15:01
Message: <web.54d24515efd94883ae3e5960@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 04/02/2015 09:32, Mr wrote:
> > Only I feel that my detection of the POV/UBERPOV binary only with its name
> > string checking is clumsy. Is it?
>
> Just a thought. To use any renderer you have to select it in User
> Preferences. Could you not have a flag to tell Blender which
> version/patch to use?
>
> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

OK, I did a compromise:

The path you chose in preferences is the binary that will render. you can pick
any engine, pov or uberpov.

previously it then detected from the binary name and would generate the suited
pov file. Assuming that Uberpov and POV will be in different directories, if you
do not specify any path, it will try to find vanilla pov from environment
variables (successfully form test reports), but if you have uberpov in the same
directory, it will rather use it. The idea was less user interactions, but as
many supported features as possible. That's why I planned to add the new version
test to define uberpov features inside the scope of its condition.

Now, instead I added a Feature Set rolldown in the Blender user preferences to
make user choose whether to write these feature down or not independantly of the
binary chosen. when they are on, they get written inside the version condition
to make the scene still compatible with POV 3.7

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray#Rendering_with_UberPOV

I am trying to make everyone happy, but this might make maintenance work
heavier, so version condition might get removed in the future when most
features are available in both branches