POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : UV texture scale center : Re: UV texture scale center Server Time
21 May 2024 05:53:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV texture scale center
From: Mr
Date: 26 Jan 2015 03:40:00
Message: <web.54c5f97e1bfbdbf6c31ce6010@news.povray.org>
> Am 25.01.2015 um 22:50 schrieb Mr:
>
> > The best I could do was this:
> > http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=82820
> >
> > If you compare with Blender render below, especially look at the clouds
> > reflexion in the sphere, I think Scale and offset are pretty correct, but the
> > difference in which clouds are visible through the lateral opening shows the
> > mapping is still incorrect.
> > http://wiki.blender.org/uploads/1/12/RenderBranch.jpg
> [...]
> > I had to use map_type 0 but I am guessing what would be needed for more correct
> > results would be cube mapping? (map_type = 3 ?) which doesn't exist yet does it?
> > maybe in UberPOV?  otherwise, which solution would you advise? anything else
> > than giving up sky_sphere for a dumb (how big?) box?
>
> Well, what format does Blender use for the environment mapping anyway?
>
> If you could post the environment map image used, that would certainly
> help identifying the mapping.
>
> There are various formats in use, but I'd try map_type 1 first (AFAIK
> it's the most common one), and see if rotating by 90, 180 or 270 degrees
> around the vertical and/or mirroring (scale <-1,1,1>) does the trick.

thanks, I did try all that, but type 0 is still closer.

as listed here and in the Blender interface,the default is a cube,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/World/Background#Textures

"Blender can use an 2D image which it maps to a very large Box or sphere which
encompasses the entire scene"

So I also tried to add "warp { cubic }" but it only gets further from the
original

Here is the function translating the map type:

def imgMapBG(wts):
    image_mapBG = ""
    # texture_coords refers to the mapping of world textures:
    if wts.texture_coords == 'VIEW' or wts.texture_coords == 'GLOBAL':
        image_mapBG = " map_type 0 "
    elif wts.texture_coords == 'ANGMAP':
        image_mapBG = " map_type 1 "
    elif wts.texture_coords == 'TUBE':
        image_mapBG = " map_type 2 "

    if wts.texture.use_interpolation:
        image_mapBG += " interpolate 2 "
    if wts.texture.extension == 'CLIP':
        image_mapBG += " once "

    return image_mapBG

In blender, available mappings for the "sky sphere" are :

View
    The default orientation, aligned with the co-ordinates of the final render

Global
    Uses global coordinates

AngMap
    Used to wrap a standard hemisphere angular map around the scene in a dome.
This can be used for image based lighting with Ambient Occlusion set to sky
color. You'll generally need a high dynamic range image (HDRI) angular map. (It
will look like a weird spherical image).

Sphere
    Sphere mapping, similar to that of materials

Tube
    Wrap the rectangular texture around in a cylinder, similar to that of
materials

Object
    Position the texture relative to a specified object's local texture space