POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Won an animation contest : Re: Won an animation contest Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:11:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Won an animation contest
From: gregjohn
Date: 11 Dec 2014 09:40:01
Message: <web.5489acb8322c8158509fa9500@news.povray.org>
"jhu" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> > The technical society for my field,  ISTFA (failure analysis), has now twice
> > held a Video Contest. The prize is a free registration (~$950) to the next
> > conference.  There were 700 attendes at the actual conference, but only 7
> > bothered to enter the contest. No one else did "animation": it was mostly video
> > recording of metallurgical processes or FIB tools picking up TEM lamellae.
> >
> > Last year I got second place with a povray animation; this year I got first
> > place with a stop-motion animation done with clay. I think the key feature is
> > perfect matching of sound with the action. But for that, I actually used povray,
> > by first making a 6 fps animation with povray-printed numbers, one per frame.
> > Then I know how many frames I need to relay each sentence.
> >

> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI0PPfTAdCc
>
> Very nice. If no one else did animation, that means you win by default?

No, there were six other entries.  Most were video footage of tools that make
samples, like this one which was last year's winner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYyttv7QHwo

And while I'm pasting, here's my povray animation from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgtXRQ8Py4U

Steven, the CMOS technology is still very much in use.  Voltage Contrast is just
one way of finding defects.