POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Out of memory : Re: Out of memory Server Time
27 Apr 2024 09:46:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Out of memory
From: MichaelJF
Date: 1 Dec 2014 12:35:01
Message: <web.547ca65454eeb2e5d5b0a6d50@news.povray.org>
"zoli0726" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I could appreciate some help, because im stuck.
>
> I want to render about 2 million spheres and about 10 million cone-s which
> connecting them on a scene, but the parser fills all of my memory (16gb). I have
> every sphere individually in the pov file, because their coordinate and color
> are different. It doesnt matter which quality im using because i cant even pass
> the parsing.
> Is there any good method to reduce memory usage, or the only option is more
> memory?
>
> Thanks.

I think, it is not possible to answer your question in general. Stephen is
completely right in requesting your code, so that one can judge, what you intend
to do. Le Forgeron is completely right that the main part of your
million objects will not be visible in your final scene - most likely. First due
to the size of the image in pixels and second because it is likely that a lot of
your objects are hidden by others. Try to leave the invisible
ones out.

I have only a very vague idea of your intended image (brain synapses may be),
but if I'm right, you should try to find a way to determine what sphere is in a
first layer, which in a second, which in a third (and so on) in distance to the
camera, display only the first four layers (and forget about all spheres and
cones beyond) and use focal blur to display only the first (and maybe second)
layer of spheres in focus and blur the rest away. The third and fourth layer
will give enough impression of "depth" without the need of displaying all your
spheres.

Best regards,

Michael