POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : My recent updates : Re: My recent updates Server Time
26 Apr 2024 00:31:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My recent updates
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 23 Oct 2014 20:55:00
Message: <web.5449a35aeb5f82295e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:

 RC3Metal
   - Derive updated metal colors from analysis of digital photos.  I
     believe I have a system to compensate for environment biases.  At
     this time I have no idea where I will get gold, silver, and bronze
     specimens.

I have a bronze box manufactured by Tiffany.  It has 3 major colorations - that
"shiny new copper" color, the usual "old patina'd penny" look, and then on the
inside of the cover is - as far as I can tell, and example of the very reddish
copper color which I believe arises from "dezincified bronze"

I believe various bronze alloys are used for marine purposes like screw
propellers, due to their resistance to salt water, and there are a lot of bronze
alloys used for motor bearings and gun barrel cleaning brushes are "phosphor
bronze" - not sure how you'd get a good look at a bristle...

You could see if you could get gold leaf from an art supply store - they (still)
use it for gilding high-end frames.  Maybe see if a coin shop will let you
photograph something.  Then there is the obvious jewelry store or maybe less
obvious - precious metal refinery.  I suppose the same goes for silver - and I
know a LOT of people who are heavily into silver rounds, since the US Federal
Reserve Note is becoming more & more worthless by the moment...

Thanks for what looks like an awful lot of hard work.  Perhaps some time in the
future I can look at and experiment with any of the innumerable features that
POV-Ray has that I haven't even begun to explore...