POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Longhair poll! : Re: Longhair poll! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:32:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Longhair poll!
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 14 Oct 2014 18:55:00
Message: <web.543da882622b0893192ae5f10@news.povray.org>
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> POVers (POVghans?) obviously are mostly beardos... and it seems to me,
> that among male POVers (ever noticed the almost complete absence of
> female POVers? I hardly can remember any other "raytraceress" than Gail
> Shaw...),...

I've noticed that, too.  I wonder why that is.

> longhairs are also strikingly over-represented!
>
> So I start a poll: Who of you has hair at least touching the shoulders?

I wish.

When I was a kid, everyone wanted voluminous Afros like the Jackson 5.  (And my
spell checker is balking at "afro," so I look it up at Merriam-Webster, and
learn for the first time in 51 years that the word is supposed to be
capitalized!)  But my hair just got too unmanageable if it got too long.
Decades later, I learned that it takes either a looser hair texture than mine or
a vatful of chemicals.

I have an aunt and cousins who actually did have such Afros, naturally.
Nowadays, they both wear their hair short.  Ironically, the son of one of them
is playing Michael Jackson in a national tour.  I'm sure he could grow an MJ
Afro if he wanted to, but he doesn't, and wears a wig on stage.

The alternatives for me were braids and dreadlocks.  Either would have caused my
manly man male dad to flip out.  Violently.  Besides, the only westerners who
wore dreadlocks in those days were Rastafarians, and their coifs were just plain
unkempt.  It was not a look that I wanted.

After I moved out on my own, braids became an option, but the damn tape recorder
kept playing in my head that only the social "others" would wear their hair like
girls or rebels.  Along with that was the fact that braids are high-maintenance,
so it's not like I could passive-aggressive myself into non-conformity.  Whoopie
Goldberg showed me that dreadlocks don't have to look like rats' nests, but
again, keeping them neat requires maintenance.

Now, the question is almost moot, as my hair will no longer grow down to my
shoulders (although it is still much longer than most men wear theirs).  The
intelligent design proponents in my country need to explain this one to me,
although I have a sinking feeling they would just throw 1 Corinthians 11:14 back
at me.  That verse would not explain Yadgar, though.  Or Jesus.  They say that
youth is wasted on the young.  I sure wasted mine keeping my hair the way other
people told me it should be.

Every time I see a little boy (or girl) with long hair, I turn green.