POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Publishing : Re: Publishing Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Publishing
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 19 Jun 2014 01:45:01
Message: <web.53a27873a1cd9691de778ac40@news.povray.org>
> On 18/06/2014 08:40 PM, andrel wrote:
> > According to a friend of mine that has used InDesign for some personal
> > projects, InDesign can export and import XML. That could mean that you
> > only have to create a template and then insert the documentation by
> > automatic search and replace. (I use the same technique to build simple
> > websites.)
> > Apparently InDesign even has scripting facilities, she has not used them
> > herself. She is not a programmer, but a child of the WYSIWYG point and
> > click generation. All in all it sounds to me as something that matches
> > your interests and abilities. Perhaps she can even help you a bit. She
> > has met people that use complex programs to do simple tasks before (i.e.
> > we have worked together for some time).
>
> OK. Well that all sounds like something worth looking into.
>
> (I overheard the guy who's working on the documentation the other day.
> We was explaining - as if this is a really complex and novel idea - how
> he's managed to configure InDesign in such a way that it *automatically*
> updates the table of contents and the index when you change something.
> As if this is a really sophisticated idea, rather than - you know -
> something that EVERY half-decent document production system should be
> able to do out-of-the-box...)
>
> It sounds like with some suitable tinkering, we could probably get quite
> a nice workflow with this thing.
>
> I wonder if there's any official documentation for it online. I'll take
> a look...

Good idea. I have had to work with indesign files given by clients and I managed
to work with it. I wouldn't compare the learning curve to Blender at all,
InDesign is a lot easier.

Alternatively afaik SVG supports feathered dropshadows and rounded boxes. I
think SVG could be the future of design because it seems to support just about
everything needed for print and web.

-Nekar Xenos-