POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where did THAT come from...? : Re: Where did THAT come from...? Server Time
8 Jun 2024 02:00:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where did THAT come from...?
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Mar 2014 15:55:01
Message: <web.53332f7fba522c12c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Bald Eagle <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> maybe
> #default {pigment {rgb <1,1,0>} finish {ambient 1} }
> needs to be
> #default {texture {pigment {rgb <1,1,0>} finish {ambient 1} } }
> ?

Nope, not really necessary. For example, you could, if you wanted to, simply
write...
#default{finish{ambient .5 diffuse .5}}
....which would attach only a *finish* to an object (one that doesn't already
have an explicitly-stated finish, that is.) The 'texture' wrapper isn't
mandatory in a #default statement. In fact, it's not mandatory in an OBJECT
either-- but it's  'good coding practice' to do so, in my opinion... especially
if you decide to add *multiple* overlaid textures to an object; otherwise,
you'll get error messages. To be honest, I rarely use #default{...} in my
scenes; just a personal preference. I like to add full textures to my objects as
I build them. But for quickly creating the basics of a scene-- without worrying
about textures just yet-- #default is certainly useful.

By the way: I hope I didn't confuse you further with my quick-and-dirty
example...

box{
texture{pigment{rgb <.5,.3,.1>}finish{ambient .3 diffuse .7}}
}

The box needs a size, of course-- like  box{<0,0,0>,<1,1,1>...

> Do you have any clever suggestions for calculating where things should
> actually be in my final scene if I copy and paste it all into the big
> scene and then correct the coordinates?  I'm thinking spreadsheet...

Without seeing your code, that would be difficult. My suggestion: Experiment!
It's the best way to find out how things work in POV-Ray; even making mistakes
is beneficial! As the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day!" ;-)