POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where did THAT come from...? : Re: Where did THAT come from...? Server Time
14 May 2024 15:30:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where did THAT come from...?
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Mar 2014 03:05:04
Message: <web.53327b9eba522c12c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Bald Eagle <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> >> #default{pigment{rgb<1,1,0>}finish{ambient 1}}
> >>
> >> If you now have a bright magenta box, you know that you have an object
> >> that don't have any pigment.
>
> That makes the box bright Yellow.
> And jacks up the ambient value of everything in the scene. Whoa.

If you're using 'quality 0' to test the scene, then all ambient values will
indeed appear to be maxed out (regardless of using the #default stuff.) Maybe
that's what's visually confusing. Quality 0 adds no color shading or lights-- or
much of *anything* except the full rgb color of the objects.

Also, the #default{pigment{rgb<1,1,0>}finish{ambient 1}} will *only* be imposed
on objects that do not already have an explicitly-stated pigment and finish. In
other words, it will not change anything in the following example:

box{
texture{pigment{rgb <.5,.3,.1>}finish{ambient .3 diffuse .7}}
}

although it might change the FINISH in this example (I'm actually not sure,
without trying it myself)...

box{
texture{pigment{rgb <.5,.3,.1>}} // no explicit finish here
}