POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Using Fog for depthcue - broken when behind transparent objects : Re: Using Fog for depthcue - broken when behind transparent objects Server Time
13 May 2024 22:52:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using Fog for depthcue - broken when behind transparent objects
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Feb 2014 00:00:01
Message: <web.530d740776632899c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
> "Lothar" <les### [at] helixnihgov> wrote:

> >    adding the keyword hollow definitely changes something. It seems to
> > over-compensate now. The white fog in the back seems to be greatly enhanced!
>
> Kenneth wrote:
> Comment specular and roughness out and the 'extra' fog effect disappears! Or
> move the lights to some odd angles relative to the triangle.

I thought I would explain that better, in case the solution didn't seem obvious:
Your triangle is just a flat shape. Since it isn't a 'smooth' triangle, the
'normals' across the surface all point in one direction-- straight out at
90-degrees to the surface. The SPECULAR/ROUGHNESS addition just bends light rays
that reach the surface--based on the normals-- to give it a shiny appearance.
But your lights (one of them anyway) are aligned really close to that 'normal'
axis-- and so is the camera. The end result is that the entire flat triangle is
'shining' almost uniformly due to the specular addition; that shininess adds to
the brightness of the fog seen *through* the triangle.