POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Using Fog for depthcue - broken when behind transparent objects : Re: Using Fog for depthcue - broken when behind transparent objects Server Time
14 May 2024 09:38:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using Fog for depthcue - broken when behind transparent objects
From: Kenneth
Date: 24 Feb 2014 17:35:01
Message: <web.530bc85376632899c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> By the way, 'filtered' transparency seems to be working just as it should. (That
> is, using rgbf.) The problem is apparently only with 'transmit' transparency.

Hmm, I'm wrong about that: using rgbf <1,1,1,1> produces the same odd behavior
as rgbt <1,1,1,1>. I'm a bit perplexed; either I don't understand the basics of
how f and t 'multiply' the light from behind an object (as described in the fog
documentation), or else there's an error in the docs themselves. Or an error in
the fog/transparency implementation.

I tried an experiment: rgbf (or t) <.70..70,.70,1> seems to 'match' (more or
less) the appearance of the fog behind your triangle (depending on the
triangle's position in space!); but of course it makes the triangle itself a
sort of gray translucent color. All in all, it seems to be very
difficult/impossible(?) to get a *fully*-transparent triangle (or box) along
with the 'proper' or expected appearance of fog behind it.