POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Curmudgeon's Response : Re: A Curmudgeon's Response Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Curmudgeon's Response
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Feb 2014 22:45:01
Message: <web.5306cb32a4f64c71c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26258971
>
> OK cool tech at work here ... lot's of engineering reasons why this is a
> great idea, but for some reason I don't like it one bit!

When I first saw this (and the photo of what the cabin would look like), I
thought the same thing: When will 'virtual' reality ever stop?! But I have to
admit that the idea of a hi-def, ultra-wide 'fake window' (as opposed to the
small and scratchy windows currently found on airline planes) would be really
cool. I don't fly much-- but when I do, I always like to sit near a window. Yet
I usually get a stiff neck from having to crank my neck sideways trying to peer
outside (or else I end up sitting over the wing, which is no fun.) Seeing
real-time imagery of the outside environment would be thrilling! Of course, the
addition of 3-D glasses would make it more immersive... (Hmm, no need for even
the fake window, in that case-- just wear a wide-angle hi-def headset, with
Dolby surround-sound of the engines roaring!)