POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ice/Slush/Snow texture samples, 3 of N : Ice/Slush/Snow texture samples, 3 of N Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Ice/Slush/Snow texture samples, 3 of N
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 4 Feb 2014 19:25:03
Message: <web.52f183e557fb430eddb0c31e0@news.povray.org>
Here are the first three of a decent number of textures being produced to be
used with my coating macros [corrosion/moss-vine/ice-icicles-slush-snow/bla
bla].

I just wanted to give a status update on the progress of this since that is only
fair to the folks who have contributed texture elements or otherwise helped make
this happen in one way or another over the years [I do not know why I only use
POV in the winter].

The macros I make are not really intended to be any sort of art on their own, no
more than oil paints are to a finished work, but instead are offered as tools
for others.

The two S.E. Day SSLT texture derivations take little time to render [on the
order of 1-2 hours], but the one on the far right took over 11 days on the
machine listed at the end, with the programs running below that.

The macro which produced the coating can accept an array of parameters, and if
your machine is beast enough you can texture each array row separately,
including interior. But good god its slow.

All I know is my next machine will have a second x5660 and another 24gb in this:
http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

Machine:
Xeon 5660DP [6 core/12 hyper threading/2.8ghz] (only $400 lol!)
http://ark.intel.com/products/47921/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5660-(12M-Cache-2_80-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI)
in an Intel DX58SO2 with 24gb Kingston DDR3 triple channel matched set and SLI
NVidia cards having more RAM than I'll ever need.

Software overhead:
4 other rendering instances of POV-Ray, 1 of Mathematica, 50+ Chrome tabs, 8ish
instances of VS2010-2013 Ultimate, Processing, IntelliJ, UE Studio, etc..

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'threeofsix.png' (365 KB)

Preview of image 'threeofsix.png'