POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Can't Stand It : Re: Can't Stand It Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can't Stand It
From: Stephen
Date: 4 Feb 2014 09:35:00
Message: <web.52f0f99bdd10d3847f6b03a40@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 04/02/14 09:46, Stephen wrote:
> >
> > From my experience of working with people from all over the British Islands.
> > (N.B. for others. That is not the same as the British Isles)
> >

> Indeed. And just to confuse them a bit more, neither of those is
> synonymous with either Great Britain or The United Kingdom. As we all
> know, the Isle of Man and the Channel Isles (themselves being split into
> two independent Bailiwicks - Jersey and Guernsey) are Crown Dependencies
> and are not members of the European Union

As you say and yet some people get confused.

> > They would be only to glad to see the back of London and Londoners.
> >
> > One thing that my sister in law said (and she is a nay sayer) is that she has
> > not heard anyone, outside Scotland, publicly say that they did not want Scotland
> > to leave. It would be nice if someone did.
> >

> OK. I'll say it. I don't want Scotland to leave the Union.

It doesn't count if you had to be asked, I'm afraid. :-(

> Quite apart from the political and financial problems* it would cause we
> have a shared history going back hundreds of years. Like it or not we
> are a family with all the good and bad things that the term implies.
> Sure, we squabble but threaten our unity and you'd be asking for real
> trouble.

Yes, things were going well until the Romans put their ballistae in reverse and
scampered.

> * 1. The Governor of the Bank of England is on record as stating that an
> independent Scotland could not retain the pound sterling.
> 2. If Scotland left, it would have to reapply for membership of the
> European Union and that would be in no way a done deal. Spain, for one
> and with an eye on Catalonian independence, would probably veto the deal.

No point in telling politicians anything that bears any resemblance to the
truth. They would not recognise it.
Facts are an inconvenience.