POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SSLT test : Re: SSLT test Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSLT test
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 24 Jan 2014 15:30:00
Message: <web.52e2cce0eff39d8691114470@news.povray.org>
> Am 24.01.2014 15:13, schrieb Robert McGregor:
>
> > Wish-List Request: the ability to save and load SSLT data to/from a file, like
> > radiosity and photons already do. Then animations (and stills) could load
> > pre-calculated data for quicker renders.
>
> That would require SSLT data to be cached in the first place, akin to
> radiosity, which it currently isn't ;-)
>
> Has been on my SSLT To-Do list for ages, but you know how things are...
> haven't gotten a round tuit yet :-P

I believe Thomas has rights to reproduce and distribute those tuits now. As for
the caching and the to-do list, I understand on both points.

Not sure if you've ever seen this, but I was reading recently about Renderman's
subsurface features, based on the same SSLT paper that you used. They bake the
subsurface data into a brick map (which sounds very much like a DF3 to me) that
can be recursively refined; pretty cool:

http://renderman.pixar.com/resources/current/rps/subsurface.html

www.McGregorFineArt.com