POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tops's "contour lines" : Re: Tops's "contour lines" Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tops's "contour lines"
From: MichaelJF
Date: 12 Jan 2014 15:00:01
Message: <web.52d2f391f3057c90adcca6640@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/thread/%3Cweb.52d0b932f649b333171348a80%40news.povray.org%3E/

> > Best regards,
> > Michael
> >

> It looks like your textures have to much ambient, making reliefs
> difficult to see.
> The default value is 0.1, and it's often a good idea to use some smaller
> values down to zero.
> If some areas are then to dark, you can use a shadowless fill light,
> possibly having a different tint.
>

> Alain

As all I know ambient is set to zero using radiosity. The pigments are red, blue
and yellow from colors.inc simply. There are some radiosity artefacts present

Just for the fun of it I rendered a small animation with "undulated"
electrodes...

I used Alain's approach modifying only frequency and amplitude of the sinus wave
for the electrodes. The main trick was to rebuild the electrodes as an
isosurface as Alain proposed. Using Chris Hormann's ISO-CSG-library it was done
quickly. For the box object at the ground I used the function

   function { fn1(x,y+sin(clock-sqrt(x*x+z*z)*5)/4,z)}

with

   #declare fn1 = IC_Box(<-20,-1,-10>,<20,1,10>)

from the ISO-CSG library too. I exchanged the radiosity lighting here with a
small area light since the radiosity artefacts within the animation were
annoying completely.

If someone is interested in the code of this little exercise I will put it here
under a cc-0 licence.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'dancingelectrodes.mp4.mpg' (203 KB)