POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nova Star : Re: Nova Star Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nova Star
From: Fractracer
Date: 9 Jan 2014 13:50:01
Message: <web.52ceee04892c99b6390c901c0@news.povray.org>
"Pekka Aho" <pek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>Heh, don't get me wrong, my intention was certainly not to question your
>artistic views. Of course you do the way you prefer and you do the best you
>can,no worries at all. =)

Don't feel wrong, I accept all comments as they are constructive, I am not
either a Pov master, I know I have many things to learn again and all views and
advices on my works are welcome. And your advice allow me to improve the quality
of this picture.

>To give an example of how I tend to do it, I always use focal blur when
>everything else is in place in my scenes. Inserting and adjusting focal blur
>steps in when I'm finalizing my work. And anti-aliasing is what I use every
>time at that point as well.

Yes, it is the better way to do.

>(And of course, I'm not a POV "master" either; my own educational background is
>in linguistics - a master degree from Helsinki university to be precise, and my
>main hobby is music; I'm a songwriter, singer, guitarist and bassist in the
>first place. POV is my important nr. 2 hobby since the version 2.0 always when
>other stuff in my life allows.)

I know Povray since more than ten years, but I really use it since 2012
(earlier my old PC was not enough powerful).
Music! Hey! I have played bass guitar some years ago (hard rock 'n roll n'
blues...)
And my hobbies are drawing, painting and writing (poetry and short novellas).

>I think you misunderstood me a bit. I did certainly not mean it as "clean" or
>"clear" or anything like that, as we're not living in a sterile world dome.
>Dust, smoke and particles are of course always out there. I rather meant
>certain "softness" and "depth" that would namely increase the quality of the
> images and that could also bring some more "life" to the scenes. Thus, what
> I tried to mean was that nature is not jagged, grainy or pixellated. ;)

I don't know if I misunderstood you, I don't think, you are right when you
say that nature is not pixellated, and for images the softness is necessary.
The problem with computed images is that objects are often slicks, and it is
hard to reproduce some natural facts or phenomenons, or to get a dirty approach
of the rendering - with dirty I mean dust, scratches...

Regards.
Lionel.