POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nova Star : Re: Nova Star Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nova Star
From: Pekka Aho
Date: 9 Jan 2014 12:00:01
Message: <web.52ced264892c99b66d4f68260@news.povray.org>
"Fractracer" <lg.### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> It's hard to please to everybody,

Heh, don't get me wrong, my intention was certainly not to question your
artistic views. Of course you do the way you prefer and you do the best you can,
no worries at all. =)

> here is another renderning of the same image

Namely this is what I'm talking about: minor tweaks and adjustments resulting in
major improvements. =)

> (I don't like to work with focal blur because the long time of render before to
> see the result - and also I don't have the mastery of this feature).

To give an example of how I tend to do it, I always use focal blur when
everything else is in place in my scenes. Inserting and adjusting focal blur
steps in when I'm finalizing my work. And anti-aliasing is what I use every time
at that point as well.

What it comes to render times, it's just an inevitable fact that POV-Ray is a
lot about patience; quality never happens quickly. Countless and again countless
of hours on just test renders when finetuning stuff is "basicday.jpg" for every
POVer out there, without even talking about days or even weeks for the very
final renders. Afterall, it's not in any ways "required" to have everything at
the very max for good results. As I already said, minor adjustments often lead
to major improvements, even if it's just a test render or a WIP, and without the
rendering times even getting that much of a pain really.

(And of course, I'm not a POV "master" either; my own educational background is
in linguistics - a master degree from Helsinki university to be precise, and my
main hobby is music; I'm a songwriter, singer, guitarist and bassist in the
first place. POV is my important nr. 2 hobby since the version 2.0 always when
other stuff in my life allows.)

> Generally I try to obtain images not so smooth, nothing in nature is really
> smooth. I will like to add some dust in my images.

I think you misunderstood me a bit. I did certainly not mean it as "clean" or
"clear" or anything like that, as we're not living in a sterile world dome.
Dust, smoke and particles are of course always out there. I rather meant certain
"softness" and "depth" that would namely increase the quality of the images and
that could also bring some more "life" to the scenes. Thus, what I tried to mean
was that nature is not jagged, grainy or pixellated. ;)