POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : declared patterns without pigments ( rvalue ) : Re: declared patterns without pigments ( rvalue ) Server Time
14 May 2024 05:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: declared patterns without pigments ( rvalue )
From: Mr
Date: 4 Jan 2014 16:05:00
Message: <web.52c8769f84c18776a63b69b00@news.povray.org>
> Am 01.01.2014 20:32, schrieb Mr:
> > Hi, is there anyway to predeclare a pattern (preferably with its
> > transformations) so that it can later be used equally within various normals or
> > pigments?
> >
> > Up to now I only managed to declare it as the one or the other.
> >
> > or maybe there is a way to fit a declared pigment inside a normal{} block?
>
> You can use a so-called "pigment function" (a function that gets its
> values from a pigment), and then use this function in a so-called
> "function pattern".

excuse me, but would you mind to post an example?  Didn't you rather mean use a
pattern function inside a pigment instead of the opposite?

the tricky thing is that a colormap is currently defined along with the pigment,
I expected it to just get ignored if it's irrelevent to the normal statement or
automatically converted to a grey scale.