POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another casualty of the change to crackle : Re: Another casualty of the change to crackle Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another casualty of the change to crackle
From: MichaelJF
Date: 28 Dec 2013 12:45:01
Message: <web.52bf0da913cbdeaeafc53f4d0@news.povray.org>
> > What you posted looks similar to my POV-Ray 3.6.1 run, but the trees are in
> > different locations, the grassy terrain is different, there is no cliff to the
> > right of center, and there is a path going from the center to the lower right.
> >

> That path is a cliff similar to the one in my image but at another
> position. I cannot explain the differences.
>
> Thomas

Hmm, at the moment I have no resources left to play with things. In the first
thread to this topic by Cousin Ricky from October 2011
(http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3Cweb.4e8cedc01e77e1ef78641e0c0@news.povray.org%3E/)
Christoph replied

>In a sense yes - the crackle pattern has changed. The general properties
>of the pattern haven't though, so the description in the docs is still
>valid.

>There are a few other random-determined patterns that have changed as
>well in a similar manner. I can't tell off the top of my head though
>which those are.

I have no idea what he ment with "in a sense" really. The crackle pattern is
based upon the calculation of Voronoi diagrams, a (very) well defined issue
within computational geometry. May be the algorithm to calculate Voronoi
diagrams was exchanged with a better one. But as Christoph continues "other
random-determined patterns [...] have changed as well in a similar manner" (the
random part with crackle is the positioning of the points in space to calculate
the Voronoi diagram). That gave me the suspicion that not the pattern are
changed but the noise generator again (last official change after 3.1). That
would explain a lot of the issues you all report here. But it is only a guess
finally.

Best regards,
Michael