POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gamut-mapped spectral rendering : Re: Gamut-mapped spectral rendering Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamut-mapped spectral rendering
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 1 Dec 2013 22:35:01
Message: <web.529bff15e348fd81306548240@news.povray.org>
Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:
> Coincidental I'm just about to release version 0.2 (within the next few
> hours, just one more example scene to render) so in case you are willing
> to share your addition (AFAIR gamut mapping was on my to-do-list anyway)
> your contribution would be quite welcome.

It is a modification to SpectralComposer.pov, which I also converted to a .inc
file because I prefer that to modifying a library file for each project.  Should
I email it to you?

> Note that HDR values are not addressed by gamut-mapping but are again an
> art of its own.

And I see that's also on your to-do list, although UberPOV /may/ make that job
easier.

> Personally I do prefer to do stuff like this as post-processing.

That would certainly be faster than doing it with SDL.  However, I'm not sure
that the wrap-around that often happens with POV-Ray pigment functions won't
thwart that when the entire render is a giant pigment function.  (Otherwise,
couldn't we do the gamut mapping in post-processing as well?)