POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 3D Glass Sintering : Re: 3D Glass Sintering Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Glass Sintering
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 14 Nov 2013 17:30:00
Message: <web.52854d934f86b26789b5ac30@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> > > Has anyone ever converted direct sunlight into a laser? Or by "laser," do you
> > > actually just mean "parallel light beam?"
> >
> > Lasing media are typically pumped (i.e. supplied with energy to emit
> > actual laser light) by some kind of conventional light source - so why
> > not sunlight?
>
> Never said it wasn't possible; I was just wondering it anyone had actually made
> it work :\ Also, why would laser light be better than simply using parallel
> rays?

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/408698/solar-powered-laser/

"They work by focusing sunlight onto crystalline materials, such as
Neodymium-doped Yttrium-Aluminum-Garnet..."

I don't see any problem with modifying the system to use an independent solar
collector connected with Fibre-optic cables.  There are already collectors like
that used for providing natural light during the day to indoor spaces, and I've
read that the light in the cable is so intense that it can start fires if
connected improperly.

Regards,
A.D.B.