POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 3D Glass Sintering : Re: 3D Glass Sintering Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Glass Sintering
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 13 Nov 2013 21:00:01
Message: <web.52842cef4f86b26789b5ac30@news.povray.org>

http://blog.stylesight.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/dezeen_The-Solar-Sinter-by-Markus-Kayser_08.jpg

http://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2011/06/dezeen_The-Solar-Sinter-by-Markus-Kayser_09.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zXQCLKLbX9Y/TiBAvhOq9KI/AAAAAAAAATc/FqUYKP9hV9I/s1600/IMG_1218.JPG

> > The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is getting a beam of the
> > right intensity without melting the optical fibre.  The temperature at the focus
> > would have to be somewhere between 500 and 1500c
>
> Maybe take a bunch of fibers instead, and at the business end make them
> all point at the same spot?

possible.  I had thought of that: you could run the cables to a single head
containing a collimator.  Even then, the cables might need to be replaced every
so often.

The advantage would be not having to keep your collector next to your sintering
machine.  Optical Fibre only loses 5% intensity per 1km, which works out to 1%
every 200m, so with relatively short distances, it shouldn't matter very much.

if you could use the light to drive an actual laser, it might be even more
efficient.

Regards,
A.D.B