POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Shay
Date: 17 Oct 2013 08:45:01
Message: <web.525fdaf5cafa64a74aef9a7a0@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Its a "who watches the watchmen?", problem.

Oh, that one's simple. *We* are the watchmen and *we* watch the watchmen.

I regret to say, Patrick, that you've been a very poor watchman indeed. Instead
of watching over the rise of unfettered power, you've fallen in love with the
idea of controlling it.

In a previous post, you said:

> I personally consider the definitions often used to define "human"
> in such context (healthcare) to be idiotic

With the power of governemnt, Patrick Elliott would decide who is and is not
human.

Should government compel the sacrifice of one of your unborn subjects to save
one of your adult subjects?

Should government compel the sacrifice of one of your infertile subjects to save
one of your fertile subjects?

Should government compel the sacrifice of one of your violent subjects to save
one of your less-disruptive subjects?

Patrick Elliott would decide!

Your corruption is the seed of every army that has ever walked the Earth. Don't
believe? Tell us who would impose your definition of humanity on unwilling
subjects. Who would drag these subjects into your prisons?

_____________________

However, even given that, I accept you, along with your 300+million fellow
Americans, as the least-worst candidates for watchmen, not because we are
incorruptible, but because we are, as individuals, relatively powerless over
each other.

You _may_ succeed in building a majority to coerce the country towards your
vision of authoritarian utopia, but your fellow watchment will cast you off the
throne. Maybe not immediately, or even soon, but it will happen. We "humans"
always re-learn to fear authoritarianism.

And some time after that, your evil will crawl back out from under a rock and
rebuild the armies and the arsenals. And the cycle will repeat itself.

 -Shay