POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld : Re: Ringworld Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:11:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 15 Oct 2013 03:35:00
Message: <web.525cef98f2e6f38c5b7d07940@news.povray.org>
> On 14-10-2013 18:28, posfan12 wrote:
> >
> > I wasn't satisfied with my other attempts at generating the landscape.
> > There are supposed to be mountains along each edge of the ring, correct?
>
> There are the so-called spill-mountains along the edge which serve to
> recycle the sludge from the deep seas.

And also keep the air in.

You wouldn't notice the mountains from space unless you were very close to the
edge - they are described as only being 1000 miles high, which is practically
sub-pixel if you're viewing the whole ring width (~1e6 miles).

> > Also, I liked the idea of having a navigable water corridor circling the
> > entire structure.
>
> Now that you are a member of the Known Space Ringworld Engineers Group
> (KSREG), you are entirely free to model your world as you understand it.
> Beware however from the very strict orthodox engineers around as they
> are disguised Pak Protectors. ;-)

"Warning: KSREG mods may react out of proportion to your species' sense of
justice. Failing to abide by forum rules can result in a ban, and/or genocide."

;-)