POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Red Balloon : Re: Red Balloon Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:28:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Red Balloon
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 14 Oct 2013 18:15:00
Message: <web.525c6c4b5aa23ac91114470@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> You are the master of Povray clouds Robert, this is a great animation. My first
> thought was how did you render it that quickly but I see you have a few tricks
> up your sleeve.
>
> Sean

Thanks Sean, I am a bit obsessed by clouds, but I owe it all to Gilles Tran
since his brilliant code was my starting point when I began doing cloud renders
so many years ago.

As for tricks, yes I use them liberally to get the quality of image that I'm
after, but in the shortest amount of time. In fact, the +fe +ua switches are the
most useful thing for this in my opinion, allowing one scene to control the
media and others to do other parts.

I used to be of the render everything at once mentality, but some friends of
mine that work on video game art have finally convinced me that premise (which
they call the "POV-Ray mentality") was false. Now I often break a scene up into
3 or four different shots and in-camera composite them all for the final. This
allows the flexibility to work on individual pieces and fix little glitches
without having to needlessly re-render everything each time. Some might call
this "cheating" (and I would have too just a few years back) but I've been
browbeaten enough about it to learn that's just how professionals work.

www.McGregorFineArt.com