POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld : Re: Ringworld Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 11 Oct 2013 17:05:01
Message: <web.52586746f2e6f38c306548240@news.povray.org>
"posfan12" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I decided to try my own hand at creating a ringworld. Here are the results. I'm
> not too happy with the sun. I'm using LighsysIV but the sun doesn't look yellow
> enough to me. But then maybe in space that's what the sun looks like. I dunno.

The Sun's surface temperature is about 5800K.  I read some time ago that it is
slightly bluer than a black body of the same temperature, but I cannot now find
information about that.

The Sun does look whiter in space than from Earth, because from Earth, the
atmosphere scatters out some of the shorter wavelengths.  That's why the sky is
blue.  If you combine the blue of the sky with the yellowish-white of the Sun,
you'll get roughly the actual color of the Sun (although not exactly, because
the atmosphere does absorb some color).

Note that even from Earth, the Sun is not as yellow as most people think it is.
A sheet of white paper in direct sunlight indoors (where the blue from the sky
is mostly blocked) still looks white, doesn't it?  That the Sun is thought to be
yellower than it really is seems to be some psychological effect that to my
knowledge there's no definitive explanation.