POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bad weather in Gancaloon [wip 1] : Re: Bad weather in Gancaloon [wip 1] Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad weather in Gancaloon [wip 1]
From: MichaelJF
Date: 3 Oct 2013 12:15:00
Message: <web.524d96f8560315d752743a840@news.povray.org>
> On 3-10-2013 12:30, Stephen wrote:
> > It reminds me of home.
> > Drookit in Gancaloon ;-)
>
> Brr... I hate that weather.
>
> Great to learn new words, btw ;-)
>

> > You have the atmosphere just right.
>
> Thanks, Stephen. Most praise for Jaime who developed the rain macros. In
> the next wip I hope to have the splattering drops on the ground.
>

> Thomas

Yes, the athmosphere is very well met. I propose to make the rain streaks
thinner and shorter, have more of them and have less variation in the
directions. As it is in the picture inspiring you, or in photographs.

After having rendered Jaime's example scene some years ago, I often wondered
about this issue, since I cannot observe this streaks in reality. I see only
falling drops (or very short streaks). As I understand it, the streaks one sees
in photographs are only due to motion blur not visible to the eye (at least not
at such an extend). But we are used to look at photographs and accept this
deviation. So it is a issue of photorealism to model it. Even if we will not
notice the effect in reality. In a way one can compare it with the DoF-issue.

Best regards,
Michael

BTW: The community who understands the word Drookit without having to look it up
at the Oxford dictionary is much smaller than the Dutch speaking one;-) But it
is ever interesting to learn how much the Scotch language differs from English.

BTW2: The entry for McAvoy is missing at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tartans

but can be found at:

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/