POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Stephen
Date: 1 Oct 2013 08:20:01
Message: <web.524aabb7cafa64a77d8c6e9c0@news.povray.org>
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:36:38 -0500, Shay wrote:
>
> > "Jim Henderson"  wrote in message news:5249dcd8@news.povray.org...
> >
> >> One might also argue that obesity has long been around - in fact, food
> >> related health issues were somewhat worse back "in the old days".
> >
> > Any evidence to for that opinion (excluding famine) would surprise me. I
> > went to a seven-year-old's birthday party a few weeks ago. Every child
> > there would have been considered overweight when we were kids.
>
> That seems pretty anecdotal to me.  I'd want to see some real data.

Have a look at films from the 60's and 70's. There is very seldom a fat child
unless it is to laugh at. And even then you would not think of them as fat
nowadays. :-(

> But food-related health issues certainly have been around.  Logically, we
> now know things about (for example) fat content, sodium consumption,
> sugars, and so on that we didn't know 30 years ago.
>
> Though arguably the best food advice was to be had 30 years ago, too -
"moderation".

That is my maxim too. Moderation in everything, including moderation.
It is okay (IMO) to go off the rails, once in a while.

> We've certainly gone through "eggs are bad for you," "eggs
> are good for you," back and forths over the last 10-15 years that have
> led me to not really trust any of it beyond moderating intake of
> everything.

"Eggs" have two problems. Dairy food is good for you and dairy food is bad for
you, arguments. And salmonella in the food chain.

> Fast food once in a while is OK.  Fast food as a steady
> diet?  Not so much.

Master of the understatement, you are.

> >> But the topic the pundits in particular are talking about
> >
> > I'll take your word for it. I don't watch television or listen to talk
> > radio.
>
> That's probably a better way to stay sane, certainly. ;)

Talk radio turns your brain to mush and television caters for those with an
attention span not much above that of a goldfish.
All IMO, of course.