POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where after all it is: df3? : Re: Where after all it is: df3? Server Time
15 May 2024 11:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where after all it is: df3?
From: LanuHum
Date: 28 Sep 2013 05:25:00
Message: <web.52469f5f8976d0117a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 28/09/2013 07:55, LanuHum nous fit lire :
> > Sorry!
> > I look for here, I look for in Google...
> > Bla-bla-bla-df3
> > Df3-bla-bla-bla
> > And so on
> > Don't explain to me that it means
> > Please, simply tell how to receive the df3 file?
> > I found: tga2df3 for linux - page not found; sources in C++, Java and very much
> > empty lines about df3 and anywhere it is real how the mere mortal to receive
> > this file
> >
> > In official documentation:
> >
> >> 3.4.7.1.8.1 df3 file format
> >
> >> Header:
> >>    The df3 format consists of a 6 byte header of three 16-bit integers with >high
order byte first. These three va
lue
> > s give the x,y,z size of the data in >pixels (or more appropriately called voxels
).
> >> Data:
> >>    The header is followed by x*y*z unsigned integer bytes of data with a
>resolution of 8, 16 or 32 bit. The data
are
> >  written with high order byte first >(big-endian). The resolution of the data is
determined by the size of the >df3
-fil
> > e. That is, if the file is twice (minus header, of course) as long as an >8 bit
file then it is assumed to contain
16 b
> > it ints and if it is four times as >long 32 bit ints.
> >
> > It is very useful and is informative but as it helps with use POV-Ray?
>
> "df3 density" would help your quest.
>
> See also:
> > http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/povexamples/
>
> > http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/~mselig/povray/povray.html
>
> > http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/374/
>

> df3 files are a binary description of a 3D cube split in voxel (smaller
> cube): for each voxel, the relative density (0 to 255 for a 8 bits file)
>
> You can find one example in include/spiral.df3 (used by
> scenes/interior/media/galaxy.pov )
>
> About generating your own df3 files, it depends on the source of your
> data. Some people use 3D sampling of modelled meshes in other programs
> to get them.

Give in range:
You have empty: list drive C: and install Povray
Step 1. You open Povray and create scene:
global_setting...
camera...
light_source
box{<-1,-1,-1> <1,1,1>}

Step 2. You have apply media with density using df3.
What do you do?