POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bad Wolf : Re: Bad Wolf Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad Wolf
From: Stephen
Date: 18 Sep 2013 11:45:00
Message: <web.5239c9d91b23139d7d8c6e9c0@news.povray.org>
> A few loose thoughts about this, just to get my ideas clear.
>
> On 18-9-2013 12:41, Stephen wrote:
> > There is more to it than that, Christian.
> > Imagine a simple box materialising. Do we want to see the hidden faces as it
> > goes from transparent to opaque?
>
> No. It would be the /shape/ of the box, the outline if you want,
> becoming transparent.

That is what I think but we have grown up with special effects that show that
this is the way to do it.

> > With a model of a police box all the internal
> > and hidden detail would show.
>
> It shouldn't. While becoming transparent the inside remains hidden from
> our eyes.

It depends how you look at it, ;-)
If you change the transparency in Pov. You start seeing the internal structure.

> > If a person went from invisible to translucent to
> > visible, would you see their body under their clothes and what about all the
> > internal organs?
>
> Again, invisible to the onlooker. Only the outward shape of the person
> is involved.

But more interesting and medically valuable. :-)

> > Now with a Tardis how do we see that the inside is larger than the outside?
>
> An interesting challenge would be to show both (open doors). I did
> something similar a very long time ago (>10 years) with a door to
> another dimension. I cheated somewhat: The door opened into space
> (galaxy.inc) and was made of a vertical plane mirror (reflecting space)
> with a differenced door. Behind the door was a landscape cut off by the
> vertical plane. I must have the code somewhere...

I thought of using a df3 that depicted an internal scene. But then got
distracted with trying to use a proximity macro. Needless to say neither got
finished.

Stephen