POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bad Wolf : Re: Bad Wolf Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad Wolf
From: Stephen
Date: 18 Sep 2013 06:45:01
Message: <web.523983691b23139d7d8c6e9c0@news.povray.org>
> Stephen wrote:
>
> > The problem with making CSG or mesh models transparent, is the internal
> > parts show when it is partly transparent.
>
> For plain CSG, can't this usually be avoided by combining
> elements with "merge"? Of course I suppose this doesn't help for
> meshes if the original mesh already has "internal" triangles.

There is more to it than that, Christian.
Imagine a simple box materialising. Do we want to see the hidden faces as it
goes from transparent to opaque? With a model of a police box all the internal
and hidden detail would show. If a person went from invisible to translucent to
visible, would you see their body under their clothes and what about all the
internal organs?
Now with a Tardis how do we see that the inside is larger than the outside?

100 Karma points to the person who can do a realistic (WTF) materialisation or
de-materialisation of a complex model. (With shadows and you get 500 Karma
points.)

Stephen