POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bad Wolf : Re: Bad Wolf Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:12:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad Wolf
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 16 Sep 2013 07:20:01
Message: <web.5236e8d31b23139d5b7d07940@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
> It was the silly question mark suit, that did it for me. Suspension of disbelief
> is one thing but the suspension of stupidity is altogether different.

Hm, I think the question mark had featured somewhere on the costume even as far
back as Tom Baker, if I remember correctly. Although not as prominently. Most
people disliked McCoy's interpretation of the character rather than the costume,
which was positively spartan after Colin Baker's psychedelic coat.

> > > I did try to make my model of the Tardis de-materialise but it was not a
> > > success. :-(
> > Hmm, perhaps if I made a mesh shell of it, scaled it along its normals...
> That would give a nice aura, I think.
> Even if you choose a good angle a perspective camera would still show the far
> side.

This won't work will it, all edges pointing at the camera will show up. That
trick worked well with the Daz mesh because the curved body shape only had
low-angle triangles at its horizon.

> Just a thought. If you differenced it with a plane normal to the camera. You
> might get away with it.

Or, staying with the mesh idea, using only single-sided triangles perhaps?

Bill