POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bad Wolf : Re: Bad Wolf Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:12:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad Wolf
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Sep 2013 06:20:00
Message: <web.5236da961b23139d7d8c6e9c0@news.povray.org>
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> > Bill's 2006 IRTC entry for Absence is one of the best, IMO.
>
> It's just a shame I didn't get a chance to perfect the lighting before the
> submission deadline - the version submitted had very blotchy radiosity
> artifacts.

The composition made up for any flaws.

>I later rendered a faster, cleaner version using a large area_light
> hidden in the ghost, which looked neater, but somehow slightly less real... I
> should revisit it to polish it some more really.

When you have nothing else to do. :-)

> > I tried to emulate it but found it too difficult to do. So in 2008 I
> > used a different method for the Wizard animation challenge. Described here:
> > http://www.tc-rtc.co.uk/member/imagenewdisplay/index176.html
>
> I've mislaid my login details, but I'll take a look at this later.

Thomas will reset it, if you ask nicely. ;-)
I would do it but I've left my laptop at home as I won't have internet access,
this week.

In short, what I did was to difference my model from a large box then inverted
that to get a container for the media. This meant I could use the same box but
difference different meshes in the animation. The eyes glow but I thought that
it might be atmospheric. I had not used blender then and did not know about
scaling along the normal. I must remember that.

> > The problem with making CSG or mesh models transparent, is the internal
> > parts show when it is partly transparent.
> > It just looks a mess.
>
> My issues exactly :/

I've thought about this and I do not think that you can do it directly in Pov,
at least in one pass.

Stephen