POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shay's SCG challenge : Re: Shay's SCG challenge Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:33:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shay's SCG challenge
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 29 Aug 2013 14:05:01
Message: <web.521f8c4bc9cfdd34ae2c701b0@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> This took a surprisingly long time to render

Good job, Ricky; it looks nice! Needs a more interesting environment, though ;)

My version took longer to render than I thought it would, too, even though it
was built out of clipped & unioned geometry, and didn't use many standard CSG
operations.

You might gain a few PPS by specifying your own bounded_by objects (POV-Ray
doesn't always produce the most efficient bounding boxes on its own), and also
by making the base object a slice of the final object. That is, the base object
would be a single "lobe" that would then be copied and rotated about the center.

Sam