POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : ex post facto difference - "negative" objects : Re: ex post facto difference - "negative" objects Server Time
14 May 2024 17:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ex post facto difference - "negative" objects
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 27 Aug 2013 17:25:01
Message: <web.521d17ff2cb39bb2bcfd532f0@news.povray.org>
> You can make a difference of two objects in order to do that.

Indeed.  My question was, can I "force" a difference to take place _outside_ of
a formal difference{} directive?

For example, _somewhere_ in the SDL is a box{} defining a wall of the structure.
The idea is that I can define a whole room as an addition - including the
doorway - and simply tack on that object {room rotate translate} statement to
the end of the SDL, and the doorway would not only overlap the wall, but "cut" a
hole in it.

I'm not too concerned about render speed at the moment - it would be more for
the purposes of "rapid prototyping" and modular construction that would do away
with the need for extensive editing of pre-existing SDL code.

> ...it may be more efficient to build a wall using
> the union of its parts rather than the difference of one big wall and
> smaller objects.

Interesting.  I'll file that datum away for future reference.