POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming Competition (US only) : Programming Competition (US only) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Programming Competition (US only)
From: verm
Date: 20 Aug 2013 19:50:01
Message: <web.5213feb3e8ec9220e8df63cd0@news.povray.org>
Hope this post isn't too off topic (it might include reflective spheres but at
least this is not a chequered plane)...

My work's running a programming competition and I've been playing around using
POV to visualise my AI's debug information. The game is to write some java code
to play a racing game. (Think simpler non-violent robocode.) I took the track
image from the game and added the bubbles to show where the checkpoints are and
the red and yellow balls show my first pass at a racing line. Not the most
efficient visualisation but pretty :-)

If you're based in the US the competition is currently running to win some Nexus
10s and an Alienware laptop. http://www.infoq.com/coderally/index.html

Sadly as an employee (and non US resident) I'm not eligible to enter the public
competition, just an internal one, but as a lurker on these fora, I thought
someone here might be interested or know someone in the US who wants a new toy.
The current best times don't look that hard to beat, for anyone half technical
with a bit of patience and some time on their hands. The laptop would probably
run POV quite nicely, and if you were truly perverse you could put Linux on the

to those in the US and only runs on windows :-(

Now if anyone knows of a similar competition in the UK please let me know :-)

-------------
Disclaimer / Declaration of interest. Although this message is sent in an
entirely private capacity, I do work for the sponsor. I've nothing to do with
writing the game or the competition, but I know someone who is (which is how I
heard of the game). I do work on Liberty profile which is the application server
used by the game.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'codrally.jpg' (90 KB)