POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The other 13,400 pieces (plus 100,000-or-so you may have seen before) : Re: The other 13,400 pieces (plus 100,000-or-so you may have seen before) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:32:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other 13,400 pieces (plus 100,000-or-so you may have seen before)
From: s day
Date: 14 Aug 2013 16:05:00
Message: <web.520be27457607c6e483bd97d0@news.povray.org>
"Shay" <non### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> "s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote in message
> >
> > My only criticism is you should have saved it for the CSG sub-round as I
> > don't
> > think anything could beat it (that is if a hand-coded mesh would be
> > allowed in
> > this round?).
>
> I would hope not, that would allow height-fields. Isosurfaces would allow
> elaborate fractals. Bezier prisms would allow vector art. Blobs would allow
> ... blobs.
> At least those four should be excluded, I think.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, as long as POV-Ray's been around, TOR is the
> only one to have posted Villarceau circles, and I was only recently the
> first to post something like the recent 'CSG Challenge' shape. I think
> there's still plenty of room to explore "normal" CSG.
>
>  -Shay

Maybe 2 rounds are required, a pure CSG featuring only basic primitives (I would
like this one) and a more flexible SDL only round (no external tools). Only
problem is both of these would exclude any non POV competitors but I assume
these would run in parallel to the main competition so it should not be a huge
problem. It also may tempt some of them to try out POV.

I guess it could also have a negative impact on the number/quality of entrants
to the main competition.

Sean