POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mesh leg bones : Re: Mesh leg bones Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh leg bones
From: MichaelJF
Date: 7 Aug 2013 14:05:01
Message: <web.52028b48975c0a2f228c53c40@news.povray.org>
> Finally got it to work after trying / using about 5 different programs and
> converting stl to obj to pov.

That is the price to pay, if you want use only free software, but one get
accustomed to that. I think most things here can be done within Blender alone,
but I'm not familiar enough with Blender since it is really hard to learn.

> Coordinate system is wonky due to the right -x
>
> Now I need to learn something about torsional force, modeling fractures, and
> find a way to quicken the parsing time for the render, since I plan on doing
> some animation.

What have in your mind? Fractures are as indivual as the forces are causing
them. Sometimes you have a clean cut, sometimes you have a comminuted fracture.
Last ones usually are closed (no trauma to the skin), first ones have a higher
probability to be open (penetration of the skin), IIRC.

LeForgeron is completely right to propose the knee - or better a position close
to the knee. First the bones are biggest there and a "destruction" should be
easier to be modelled. I would propose the head of the tibia close to the knee.
E.g. a typical traffic accident between a pedestrian and a car will hit this
area resulting in a comminuted fracture of the tibia, not necessarily the
fibula(I had my experiences with that). IIRC (again) fractures to the patella
are very rare, since it simple gives way resulting in a luxation and not a
fracture most likely.

> I probably have to find a halfway decent way to model some simple musculature as
> well.

Here you are at your own I fear.

> Thanks again to everyone for their valuable suggestions (and patience) :)

You are welcome,

Best regards,
Michael