POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : EoG: Pyroclastic flow : Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow
From: MichaelJF
Date: 2 Aug 2013 13:25:00
Message: <web.51fbeb3dccdc4741467cf9440@news.povray.org>
> On 1-8-2013 22:24, MichaelJF wrote:
> > So, the eruption is still under work and running on another machine. Here is an
> > impression of the texturing I will use for the visible parts of the landscape.
> > Some 500.000 arbaro trees (only the foliage), a sea at the background (where
> > Canada should be originally, but even the 16.385x16.385 height_field of the
> > Puget Sound data has its limits). But most parts of the picture will be occupied
> > by the eruption itself, which will be more prominend as with the first wip. Not
> > due to changes to the df3-files but only due to changes with the media
> > parameters. I think I have revealed some of their mysteries by now but certainly
> > not all.
>
> Looking good indeed. As far as the trees are concerned: the green ones
> to the left would need some random hue differences, like the other ones.
> There, the red trees are - imho - a bit too prominent in the whole.
> However, they all give a nice sense of scale to the whole scene.
>
> Thomas

Thank you. Yes indeed the colors of the leaves could need a little variance. I
will look into that. The sea could be a little bit more blue. But I failed so
far to accomplish this. (I used an old material I found here at the newsgroups
and tweaked it a little bit: TdG_NorthSeaWater. I think you know who authored
this...). My main problerm is the flow itself. But it seems that I will have a
next picture within some hours. Now I abandoned the idea of several media
statements and joined all ten cloud elements into one df3-file. The result is
not the picture I intended but the best compromise I could find. Having more
than one media statement into a box seems to yield more complex interactions
than described in the POV documentation. It is not simply having a "union" with
more than one media statement or having a "difference" with more than one
density statements within a media, it is something between. I took a lot of work
to have my parts of the clouds fine (and a lot of rendering time) but putting
them together I found parts wiped out completelly and other parts "amplified" in
a way. Even the picture which will came up the next hours (hm, may be tomorrow
morning since it's slowing down actually) has a lot of parts of the original
df3-file missing.

Tomorrow I will take a break from this image. I would like to see a family of
rubber ducks around some lotus plants...
Best regards,
Michael