POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stochastic Anti-Aliasing : Re: Stochastic Anti-Aliasing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:31:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stochastic Anti-Aliasing
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 22 Jul 2013 22:10:01
Message: <web.51ede4ff753f75a4540235480@news.povray.org>
> The first image was rendered with the standard anti-aliasing mode 2,
> taking 6 seconds to compute. Note the moiree effects near the horizon,
> which are resistent to any increase in anti-aliasing quality settings.
>
> The second image was rendered with the new anti-aliasing mode, taking
> only 5 seconds to compute. Note how the distant moiree is replaced by
> random noise.

In my experience, method 2 works better for most scenes, but method 1
(non-adaptive) wins hands down for checkered planes.  I have achieved results
similar to your 2nd and 3rd images using method 1 with jitter (+AM1 +J).  What
is the advantage of your new method over method 1?  Is it adaptive like method
2?