POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : EoG: Pyroclastic flow : Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow
From: MichaelJF
Date: 18 Jul 2013 15:35:01
Message: <web.51e842c0ccdc47412958768b0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I hesitated a while to give you this image, since it is far away from being
> > finished. It depicts a certain kind of volcanic eruption, a so called
> > pyroclastic flow. That is an Eruption of a mixture of gases and ashes first
> > described by Pliny the Younger who witnessed the downfall of Pompeji. I think
> > the flow itself is looking good enough now - may be some play with the grays is
> > needed for the "layers" of the media. But what to do with this empty areas? The
> > scale of the image is a region of some 20 km^2 viewed at an altitude of 5 km.
> > The mountain happens to be Mount Rainier near Seattle, since very detailed
> > hight_field data are available at Georgia Tech. I modelled the flow - and
> > especially his extend - after the hazard map given in the Wikipedia and pictures
> > of other pyroclastic flows. The problem is the shear scale of the image. To have
> > a tree recognizable I would have it 150 m high at least. I have no problem to
> > scale things a little bit higher as they are in reallity, but 10 times? I will
> > be thankful for every idea. My only one so far is, to look through the window of
> > a plane, just to reduce the problem a little bit.
> >
> > If you understand German, the file name states some flaws with the ground flows
> > I'm repairing at the moment but cannot be seen with this prespective.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Michael
> >

> Prety good so far.
>
> I'd make the clouds much more dence and more to the white side.
>
> As for the trees, at that scale, you only need the simplest, and small,
> place holders: Small leaf green sphere and cones. Use a colour map of
> greens and apply it the the bunch as a somewhat turbulated bozo
> pattern... Just enough to suggest that there are actualy trees in the area.
>

> Alain

Thanks again. I still am at this track since you propose a similiar approach as
Jaime gave with his Project Tierra. The textures I used are stemming from this
project I only modified them a little bit to allow for turbulence between them.
Jaime's original had very sharp transitions between the ice cap region and the
rocky parts e.g.. I simply used a warped texture between them. But he also used
dummy trees as I remember. To texture them with a greenish bozo pattern seems to
be a fresh and very fine idea. May be not only green but have an autumn
coloring. A wonderful suggestion.

Many thanks,
Michael