POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : EoG: Pyroclastic flow : Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:33:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow
From: MichaelJF
Date: 18 Jul 2013 02:15:03
Message: <web.51e78701ccdc47412958768b0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 17/07/2013 7:28 PM, MichaelJF wrote:
> > Hi folks,
>
> It looks impressive, Michael. I don't think that you can do anything
> about the trees unless you have an insert that shows a magnified view of
> an area. Screen.inc should help here.

Thank you Stephen, yes a magnifying would show the trees but I think it would be
a bit disturbing to the scene.

> How did you create the cloud?

First I played with Rune's particle system to find a believable ground flow. If
one finds the correct position and size of the emitter object it is fine to find
the general direction of flows. But it has its limitations since the particles
interact only with the mountain in this case and not with each other. Then I
created ten layers of the cloud using the particles and for each cloud ist
predecessors as the ground object in a modified version of Gilles Tran's
makecloud2 macro (mainly allowing for different directions and using a gaussian
distribution than his uniform). For his tomography I grouped them into four
groups at the moment. The resulting df3-files were used as different media in
the same box. Rendering time is now some 5 hours.

> I would have expected it to look as if the internals were rolling like a
> hydrocarbon fire. (I have spent many hours looking at then, when I
> worked on oil rigs, at night. They are most hypnotic.) And the images on

Take a look at this:
http://www.maniacworld.com/erupting-volcano.htm

> google have lots of white in them. But that is, I think, being very
> critical.

I don't think it very critical. I plan to work a little bit on the colors and
the densities. May be I
change the grouping of the clouds.

Best regards,
Michael