POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : EoG: Pyroclastic flow : EoG: Pyroclastic flow Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  EoG: Pyroclastic flow
From: MichaelJF
Date: 17 Jul 2013 14:30:04
Message: <web.51e6e266414561e088cde25c0@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

I hesitated a while to give you this image, since it is far away from being
finished. It depicts a certain kind of volcanic eruption, a so called
pyroclastic flow. That is an Eruption of a mixture of gases and ashes first
described by Pliny the Younger who witnessed the downfall of Pompeji. I think
the flow itself is looking good enough now - may be some play with the grays is
needed for the "layers" of the media. But what to do with this empty areas? The
scale of the image is a region of some 20 km^2 viewed at an altitude of 5 km.
The mountain happens to be Mount Rainier near Seattle, since very detailed
hight_field data are available at Georgia Tech. I modelled the flow - and
especially his extend - after the hazard map given in the Wikipedia and pictures
of other pyroclastic flows. The problem is the shear scale of the image. To have
a tree recognizable I would have it 150 m high at least. I have no problem to
scale things a little bit higher as they are in reallity, but 10 times? I will
be thankful for every idea. My only one so far is, to look through the window of
a plane, just to reduce the problem a little bit.

If you understand German, the file name states some flaws with the ground flows
I'm repairing at the moment but cannot be seen with this prespective.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'untersteschichtenfalsch5kmhoch.png' (1243 KB)

Preview of image 'untersteschichtenfalsch5kmhoch.png'
untersteschichtenfalsch5kmhoch.png