POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass Jar : Re: Glass Jar Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:43:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass Jar
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 4 Jul 2013 13:00:01
Message: <web.51d5a8e46fab5b2d4f79afa40@news.povray.org>
James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> On 07/03/2013 08:04 PM, Samuel Benge wrote:
> > James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> >> Thanks twice ... I successfully separated the object into container,
> >> lid, and top decoration.
> >
> > NP. Are you planning to make a boolean union of the lid and top decoration? I've
> > found that Blender's boolean modifier can be dodgy at times, especially if the
> > base mesh hasn't been triangulated.
> >
> Haven't even noticed the union modifier ... I /was/ going to just use
> Join in object mode. I'll have a look!

Blender's funny like that: certain things are only available as modifiers. I was
scratching my head for the longest time one day trying to figure out how to find
a happy medium between flat shading and smooth... you know, to break the smooth
shading along only the sharp edges of a mesh. The one solution was found where?
The modifiers tab, of course (Add Modifier->Generate->Edge Split) ;P

It's a very confusing program when just jumping in, but it's really not as
poorly designed as it seems at first glance. I've been especially impressed by
its modeling capabilities. And by using modifiers, you can keep your mesh design
as simple as possible until it's time to export it.