POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Boost library requirements : Re: Boost library requirements Server Time
17 May 2024 06:50:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boost library requirements
From: Jonathan
Date: 24 Jun 2013 08:55:01
Message: <web.51c840229688c3d522b734b40@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 22/06/2013 14:11, Jonathan nous fit lire :
> > I have the same problem as did Ricky, compiling 3.7RC7.
<snip>

> Did you try without the --with-boost-thread=boost_thread-mt ?

Yes, I did that first!

> Did you install the libboost-thread1.49-dev package ?

That's where the problem was.  Apparently I had libboost-thread1.50-dev and a
bunch of other ~~1.50 stuff installed, which isn't what POV-Ray is looking for.
I just let apt-get do its thing and hoped I didn't clobber my system:

  9.2 Fix libboost dev libraries

  jonathan@Odin:~$ sudo apt-get install libboost-thread1.49-dev
  jonathan@Odin:~$ sudo apt-get autoremove

  This is a before and after diff between 'dpkg -l | grep boost' results:
     0a1
    > ii  libboost-date-time1.49-dev
    2,3c3
    < ii  libboost-date-time1.50-dev
    < ii  libboost-date-time1.50.0
    ---
    > rc  libboost-date-time1.50.0
    6,7c6,8
    < ii  libboost-serialization1.50-dev
    < ii  libboost-serialization1.50.0
    ---
    > ii  libboost-serialization1.49-dev
    > ii  libboost-serialization1.49.0
    > rc  libboost-serialization1.50.0
    8a10
    > ii  libboost-thread1.49-dev
    10,12c12,13
    < ii  libboost-thread1.50-dev
    < ii  libboost-thread1.50.0
    < ii  libboost1.50-dev
    ---
    > rc  libboost-thread1.50.0
    > ii  libboost1.49-dev
Now ./configure runs fine with only the COMPILED_BY parameter, and compilation
is successful:
 jonathan@Odin:~/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.RC7$ time make -j4
real    3m39.489s
user    10m22.008s
sys     0m33.412s

make check checks out too, so everything seems good now, thank you.

> IIRC, you might need LIBS="-lboost_system" on the configure line to have
> the boost_thread-mt usable.
Nope, didn't need to use that...
> Do not ask why.
.....no danger of that :)  Merci!