POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : basaltic columns : Re: basaltic columns Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: basaltic columns
From: s day
Date: 9 Jun 2013 10:00:02
Message: <web.51b48a1ae9c4aeffe52a27db0@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> One way you can do this is:
> 1. Generate a hexagonal array of points at the average offset/size you want
> 2. Apply a random small x and y offset to each
> 3. creat prisms based on a voronoi tesselation of the points
> - for each point, find the distance and direction to each of its 6 neighbours
> - for each of these pairs, create a plane at the exact midpoint, and
> perpendicular to the direction vector
> - you will have 6 vertical planes for each point, create a CSG intersection of
> the 6 planes (plus a top height plane).
> - this should result in having a six sided array with no gaps, bu the hexagons
> won't be perfect hexagons

Don't think I am fully using the technique mentioned above but it got me far
enough to randomise the shapes as in the attached. Also took the hint from
Thomas to change the edges of causeway to make it less even.

I did not add the clouds/sun/fog etc in this image it was just to check the
shape of the causeway and columns. Still more work to do but I am much happier
with this part of the scene.

Thanks

Sean

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'giants_new_shape.jpg' (640 KB)

Preview of image 'giants_new_shape.jpg'
giants_new_shape.jpg