POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Glowing Plasma : Glowing Plasma Server Time
1 Jun 2024 22:57:15 EDT (-0400)
  Glowing Plasma
From: Arcalon
Date: 6 Jun 2013 10:45:00
Message: <web.51b09fd12f1e8618bd6dd4370@news.povray.org>
Hi guys,

I am trying to model some glowing plasma, like in
http://www.wsz-whv.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/3.jpg or
http://www.roboterschweissen.net/images/3d_plasmaschneiden2_gross.jpg.

My first approach was using a union of pointlights:
union{
        light_source{-0.5*y, color rgb<1,1,1>}
        light_source{-0.5*y, color rgb<1,0,1>}

}
This approach has a nice glowing effect, however I do not have the possibility
to model the "actual" light. As seen in the example, the light has to occlude
the top of the plasma cutter. Moreover it has an oval shape.

To have more possibilities shaping the light I tried using object-media in union
with a light_source:
 union{
 sphere
 { 0,0.5 scale <1,1.5,1>
 pigment { rgbt 1 } hollow
   interior
   { media
     { emission 1
       density
       { spherical density_map
         { [0 rgb 0]
           [0.1 rgb <.5,.1,.5>]
           [0.2 rgb <1,.8,1>]
           [1 rgb 1]
         }
       }
     }
  }
 }
 light_source{0, color rgb<1,0,1>}
 }

But I am not really confident with the results. Do you have any advice?